On Saturday, Diego Antonio turned 5 months old!
The lateness and brevity of this post reflect the general spirit of the month. It was a month of sweet firsts, incredible time with grandma, hot hot hot weather, and a lot of changes.
- First big trees: Family hike at Big Trees State Park!
- First concert: James Taylor at AT&T Park
- First non-breast-milk food: He’s staaaaarting to enjoy rice cereal
- First full week at daycare: We all survived!
- First bachelorette party: Ha! Stopping by his Aunt Janou’s party :)
- First weekend trip with friends: Weekend in St. Helena
- First swim classes: At the UOP pool-really just floating in Mom’s arms classes, but still so sweet
We are SO grateful my mom generously spent the whole month with Diego while I transitioned back to work. It gave me great peace of mind, but more than that, it was beautiful watching the two of them play and relish their time together.
Not being someone who handles change..with ease…having my mom’s steady reassurance helped with the sometimes hectic month. Diego really leaned into the 4 month sleep regression and it’s been pretty exhausting.
Honestly, all I want to do all day is keep him cozy against me, like a little kangaroo, squeezing and kissing him. The other day, I had a moment of panic: Is sending him to daycare a bad idea? Maybe I should find a way to just hold him ALL DAY.
And then, after taking a deep breath, and looking at him, rolling around on the floor, chatting (actually Howard Dean-style screaming) to himself, I calmed down. He needs to grow, be around other kids, he can’t be in my arms all the time. Keeping him in my clutches keeps me happy, but it’s not actually helping him grow.
And oh man, it is awesome to see him grow! Feeling so lucky, this Friday evening, watching him play with his Clifford, listening to Van Morrison, and gearing up for a weekend with my favorite five month old :)